Friday, December 16, 2011

The People Holding You Up

More than often I get lost in my own little world. I have insulated parts of my life from the rest of the world and not in an effort to protect my daughter, but to protect myself. At times I am very fragile and vulnerable. Kid gloves are recommended from time to time depending on new "developments" (not the kind I celebrate by jumping and down for) in Rae's condition. I close off from the rest of the world, bury myself in research, cry a few times if the need arises, and try to figure out which course of action is the best. It is a cycle many are familiar with and at times leads to a deeper sense of feeling alone.

Then one day my best friend was playing with Rae and stated that she has been worried that Rae wasn't connecting with her and that she too was trying to figure out how to maneuver through this Hypotonic world that we all find ourselves living in. Her statements hit me like a MAC truck. I never thought about how she was coping with her relationship with Rae and how that made her feel. It was an eye opener.

More often than not, I see my world through a tunnel with one primary goal in mind, helping Rae's development progress and finding out what is causing the Hypotonia. This tunnel vision helps me keep my eye on the "prize;" unfortunately, it also obstructs my peripheral vision and I forget that there are others on this journey. Our friends and family are walking with us and are also struggling to cope with the change in expectations we all have for Rae.

I am so grateful for all they do for us... They offer me comfort when hopelessness envelops me. They bring a sense of humor to every situation that merits a giggle. They celebrate the little victories and act like fools with squeals of, "Yea, Rae you rolled over/waved/held your cup!" They are constantly seeking answers and try to find the silver linings within the storm clouds. They listen to me when I fret, which happens a lot, and hug me when I cry, which is often. They offer me words of encouragement and lead me to new resources for help. I would be completely lost without them!

My new challenge now is to remember that they are also taking steps into unfamiliar, and at times terrifying, territory. While we all muddle through this quagmire I am making a commitment to my friends and family to do my best to remember I am not alone and they too might be struggling with Rae's Hypotonia. It is all too easy to get tunnel vision and forget the ones standing beside you...holding you up.

No comments:

Post a Comment