Monday, December 5, 2011

The Reality of Dreams

Have you ever had one of those dreams that just seem so real or even somewhat prophetic? I have them all the time. I dreamed a girlfriend's first child would be a girl and she now has a two year old daughter. I dreamed I was standing in a yellow room in my cousins new home, which she hadn't purchased yet nor told me any details about, and the house they were in the process of buying has a yellow sunroom. One time I even dreamed that another girlfriends husband got another girl pregnant (that one pissed me off when it did happen). The most hurtful dream was an argument with my estranged Aunt who told me the only reason I got pregnant with Rae was to "steal the limelight" from her daughter-in-law's pregnancy, because as we all know pregnancy is a competition. But, I digress...

Now, more often than not, these dreams don't come to fruition, but when they do it can be a little eerie. Sometimes, when I realize whatever I witnessed was just a manifestation of my hearts deepest desire or fear, the dreams are a little sad and frightening. The other night was a beautiful exception since I had the most WONDERFUL dream! When I woke up my subconscious had me convinced this dream would become reality during the course of the day. Unfortunately, I took the dream at face value...forgetting of course it was only a dream. So, here's the subconscious manifestation of my heart's deepest desires...

We were all lounging in our living room, like we do every evening, watching a little TV and I noticed Rae doing some different movements on the floor. I've mentioned before that Rae isn't really a "mover" and every tiny, seemingly insignificant movement can be cause for celebration in our home. So, imagine my surprise when I looked down and saw our daughter on her hands (which she totally hates doing) and knees in a crawling position!!! I was thrilled, elated, jubilant, floating on cloud nine...!! You get the picture. She was doing that little baby rock back and forth, back and forth. Then just like that she was crawling! No rhyme or reason...she was off and moving. It was like she decided today was the day and without any difficulty she became a crawler. Needless to say I was absolutely ecstatic! I contained my joy and silently signaled my husband (I didn't wish to startle her in case she stopped) to look at Rae and see that another milestone had finally been achieved. Then with a sense of relief, confidence and pure happiness I stated, "It's time to baby proof the house."

One of Rae's many trips off her blanket.
It wasn't until that evening, when we were all going to bed, that I finally admitted to myself that what was in my mind was only a dream and I felt like someone just popped my balloon. I know in my head that one day she will crawl and one day I will get to tell my husband that we have to baby proof the house, but I wish my heart would become more rational and get on board with the rest of us. For now, we will just continue to corral Rae back onto her blanket laying on the living room floor knowing that someday our dreams will come true. Now if only I could manage to dream that we won the lottery....

No comments:

Post a Comment