Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Berry Breakfast

I consider myself very fortunate that Rae is so open to eating new and different foods. Who would have thought that my 16 month old daughter would enjoy eating curry, fish, asparagus, garlic, kiwi, tomatoes, you name it and Rae will probably eat it. So, it should come as no surprise that she LOVES eating berries since I couldn't get enough of them during my pregnancy.

I would sit and eat bowlful after bowlful of berries. I'd waddle into my local Publix (best store ever) and come out carrying raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries. I'd gleefully return home with my loot, washing these juicy delights, and toss them all into a small mixing bowl. To my husbands disappointment, I'd tell him about my sweet purchase and he'd come home hoping to enjoy some berries only to find that I'd already eaten them. All of them! I'd sheepishly apologize and promise to buy more the next day and not scarf them down as soon as I walked in our door. Oops. Guess I shouldn't make promises I couldn't keep. Poor Hubby.

This obsession with berries even applied to bags of frozen strawberries. I'd sit in my recliner, clutching a bag of strawberries, chewing on them like one would chew an ice cube. My husband looked on in amusement with a touch of horror. I rationalized that eating an entire bag of frozen strawberries was better than eating a pint of ice cream. So, I continued to gnaw on my frozen treat until the bag was empty.

Whether or not babies develop an affinity for the food their mother eats while carrying them is true, I do know that Rae LOVES berries. All kinds of berries. She gobbles them up. The first time she got a hold of a whole strawberry we had to use the jaws of life to pry her Sassy Teething Feeder from her berry stained hands.

So, yesterday morning when I offered her a breakfast of fresh mixed berries and a pancake it was no surprise that she ended up looking like this:


Yup, that's a raspberry seed on the edge of her nose and you can't see the other side of her head, but her ear was covered in blackberry juice. That's my girl! As adorable as this photo is the most exciting part of our morning was watching her pick up her own berries and shove them in her mouth. It may not sound like much, but to a parent of a Hypotonic child that movement can be as thrilling as crawling.


No comments:

Post a Comment