Monday, February 27, 2012

Crafts: Sand Bagging


A few months back our PT was using a sandbag during one of our therapy sessions. It came in handy because the weight of the sand, once distributed across Rae's hiney, kept her from rolling onto her back which is her comfort position. Unfortunately, when Anna was gathering her things, I noticed a small trail of sand following the bag. Oops! I guess after years of use the bag just finally gave out and that gave me a great idea. I'll make my own sandbags and I'll make them better!

So my Mom and I put our heads together and came up with these:




Three sandbags with removable, washable covers.

Now, we don't know how much each bag weighs, but we guesstimate somewhere between 5 and 7 pounds. The material we used for the actual sandbag is blackout material used for curtains. It was sturdy, non-pores,  and could be wiped off. The covers close by folding over like envelopes and are made out of  snuggle flannel. I think it makes them more versatile for PT's that see children every week throughout the year since they can change to cover with the holiday or season. They were pretty inexpensive and when I compared them to sandbags online I saved a decent amount since they only sell empty bags for $9.00+. Go us!

Rae using her new sandbag.
I hope Anna likes them because she's getting two. Maybe if she knows any parents out there that could benefit from having a couple I'd be willing to make them up and sell them for a fair price. I would offer to ship them, but since I sew the bags shut with the sand inside the shipping could be pretty high. They are still in proto-type phase and need to be field tested, but I think we did a good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment