Friday, January 18, 2013

The Scar

Rae had a muscle biopsy at the end of November. I was unable to see the incision because of a gigantic bandage.
(I was instructed not to pick at it or submerge it in water)


There is a scar under there somewhere...

Finally, it started to peel away on its own (it also had a tear) and with the assistance of Rae's OT the bandage was removed.
I couldn't do it. I was paralyzed with fear. 
As much as I wanted to see the scar I didn't want to at the same time.
I'm such a wuss!


Underneath the bandage we found...MORE bandages! ARGH!!!

These were actually sutures.
Again, I was told not to pick at them per a NP friend.
So, we waited and waited...the suspense was killing me!
I wanted to see what was done to our little girl!

Finally, (unless another layer hidden under the sutures) they came off!
Here's what we saw...


OUCH!

Our little girl is a trooper!

She never even acted like this gave her much pain (just seeing it makes me hurt). 
We only gave her pain medication (tylenol) the first two or three days.
Now we are massaging vitamin E on her scar twice a day with the hope it will minimize the scar's appearance on her tiny little leg.
(I swear it is about 2 inches long! Way bigger then we anticipated!)

1 comment:

  1. My Son Mason had a muscle biopsy done when he was 4 weeks old. I too thought it wasnt going to be that big but when he came out of surgery it was the whole length of his thigh. I almost died. He too is a trooper!!

    ReplyDelete